Southern Tier Line

Started by Hoydie17, June 23, 2008, 12:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoydie17

For being from NY, you'd think I'd know better than to ask this kind of question.

But what sort of traffic does the NS Southern Tier Line see on a typical day?  About how many trains in a 24 hour period?  Any guaranteed daylight moves or is it all nocturnal? 

I'm going to be in Letchworth State Park next week, and wondering if it's worth my efforts to see a train crossing the Genessee River there.

Thanks.
Α Φ Ψ  -  Old Dominion Chapter

"I'm not only the club president, I'm also a client."

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

nickwilson159

13T - Buffalo, NY to Allentown, PA - Departs Buffalo early-mid morning, arrives in Gang Mills around Noon
12T - Allentown, PA to Buffalo, NY - Departs Gang Mills at dawn, arrives in Buffalo mid-late morning
310 - Bellevue, OH to Gang Mills, NY - Departs Buffalo around Noon, lately has been making some night runs however
309 - Gang Mills, NY to Bellevue, OH - Departs Gang Mills at night, arrives in Buffalo early morning
206 - Chicago, IL to Boston, MA - Departs Buffalo at night, can sometimes be seen just as dusk sets in
205 - Boston, MA to Chicago, IL - Departs Binghamton at night, arrives in Buffalo just before or around sunrise
38T - Toronto, ON, CA to Newark, NJ (Oak Island) - CP trackage rights train, departs Buffalo before sunrise, can be seen in first rays of light
39T - Newark, NJ (Oak Island) to Toronto, ON, CA - CP trackage rights train, departs Binghamton late evening making a night run into Buffalo; sometimes makes a mid-morning run, but hasn't run in a while
H2R - Buffalo, NY to Silver Springs, NY and return - departs Buffalo around Noon with 310, heads back to Buffalo in the good afternoon light (usually)

Hoydie17

Thanks Nick, what's the road/dispatcher freqs for the Southern Tier?  Still using the old CR freqs or something else?

Sean
Α Φ Ψ  -  Old Dominion Chapter

"I'm not only the club president, I'm also a client."

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

nickwilson159

161.070 from Buffalo to Canaseraga/Hornell area, where they switch over to 160.800. Detectors include HBD/DED 359.6 (Portageville) to the East, and DED 366 (Castile) to the West. CP-ROSS and CP-SWAIN lie to the East of Letchworth, with CP-SILVER SPRINGS and CP-ROCK GLEN to the West.

Some spots you might want to check out, right near the part, include Pennycook Road just to the East of the bridge, and Dutton Corners Road just to the West (it's actually the Castile park entrance). Silver Springs would be worth exploring when H2R is working there, as it's just a few miles up the road from Letchworth.

Let me know when you're planning your trip...or rather, feel free to give me a buzz if you need anything else.

Don 18

Good information in this thread, it lead me to this site   :)

In addition to the response above do you have information on the other trains that arrive and depart the Bison Yard in Buffalo?

Thanks in advance,
Don

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk