An awesome Day with the NS F Units!!

Started by E.M. Bell, May 04, 2008, 09:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

What a great day...perhaps one of the most productive, and more importantly  FUN days, that I have had out shooting for a good long while.  Perfect Weather, a good group of friends to hang out with, and a OCS that ran earlier than expected.  I had already made up my mind that I was going to concentrate on quality over quantity with my shots this year, and it seems to have worked out well.  The time I had spent pre-planning a lot of places we went to paid off in a big way, and a little luck didnt hurt either.   We tried different places, stayed away from the hoard of fans  that was out there, and it payed off. 

The Outbound Derby OCS departed Louisville around 1300 under some broken clouds, that would soon give way to mostly clear skys.  The early departure meant we could avoid a lot of the low angle shadows, and opened up a lot of possibilities we didnt have last year.   No big drawn out diatribe here, just the pictures.  I cant wait to see how the rest of the gang did. 

NS 955 backs around the wye at Gaynor in Louisville, getting turned the right direction to start the trip home.

Our next stop was at the Pope Lick trestle near Fisherville KY.  The sun was good, the crowd was small and chiggers out in full force.  I was laying down in the tall grass for this shot...and just about got eaten alive...nasty little buggers they are...

After Pope Lick, we made a leisurely drive on East to Waddy (KY)  I had been wanting to shoot the OCS from the overhead bridge at the West end, but the sun was not right last year.  This year it was iffy, but i liked the result.  Some of the others spread out along the siding for different views..

For the guys that where with me, I had arranged a little private photo op here near JREB World HQ in Salvisa (KY)  JREB members Robert James and Gordon Brandenburg had rolled out a couple of their vintage International Harvester tractors to pose with the train. Here, 955 passes through home with my Daughter Rachel Bell and Ms Edith  James waving to the crew from the seat of a IH Model B.  Thats Gordons IH 140 sitting to the right. 

Next Stop was at Bellows Mill Ky, just East of Harrodsburg.  NS has recently cleaned up the tree lines here, opening up a great broadside view. 

The last stop of the day was Downtown Burgin KY.  Mr and Mrs Bugg where sitting out near the tracks enjoying the warm Sunday evening, and are seen here waving to the conductor on the 4270 as 955 races North on the CNO&TP

I was pleased with the results all said, and cant wait to see of the other folks shots from the day.  I will post a few outakes and rosters later on....

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

bogray

Terrific stuff...LOVE the tractor shot!

Coal and Coke

All the photos are great. the IH shot belongs in next years NS company calendar.
Rich

alxmoss1992

NS 955 at the Louisville WYE

NS 955 at Pope Lick trestle

NS 955 at Waddy,KY
Alex L. Moss

E.M. Bell

Thanks for all the comments folks.   It certainly was an enjoyable day.  Being able to get out shoot with some of my old running buddies that I dont get to see that often was the best part, the train was just the reason to do so.    Looks like you did well Alex, cant wait to see some from Bryon and Erik. 

I have a few roster and consist shots, as well as a out-take or two I will post in a day or Two....

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

alxmoss1992

Ok I have one for you guys to see of Emmett at Pope Lick Trestle.

Emmett looking like a German sniper or something...LOL (Waiting for NS 955)
Alex L. Moss

E.M. Bell

Geeez..that must have been at Pope Lick, as the 8.6 qazillion chiggers invaded my drawers....I am still scratching today from it  :) 
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

alxmoss1992

Quote from: E.M. Bell on May 05, 2008, 08:01:34 PM
Geeez..that must have been at Pope Lick, as the 8.6 qazillion chiggers invaded my drawers....I am still scratching today from it  :) 
Yes sir indeed from Pope lick!
Alex L. Moss

Knothead

They didn't do so well closer to home base.  Ran out of fuel and had to be towed in.  Found this on Railpix

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=234417&nseq=30

alxmoss1992

Well I took Bryans advice and now he's got me hooked on Roster shots!
Alex L. Moss

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk