Sunday on the Second District, 07/15/07

Started by E.M. Bell, July 16, 2007, 09:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

Junior Dragged me out of the house at a ungodly hour (0900, half the day was gone) Sunday morning to head down on the 2nd district of the CS to see what we could find.  The Day started out rather slow, but ended busy. Traffic was down due the normal July auto slowdown, but we still did well.. Here are a few.....

Northbound M86 sprints through the farms at Gradison KY

Almost as soon as the M86 cleared, Southbound Grain train 44W showed up.

44W again, cruising down #2 track at Southern States, on the North side of Somerset KY.

Another Southbound grain train, 44A, at 'Fairy Curve' Norwood KY

Northbound Triplecrown 264 had a great set of power, and rather unusal for a hot train. A former CR SD40-2 leads the train at Cumberland Chair, North of Somerset KY

I had to find an excuse to break out the big glass at least once...NS 167 at Gradison KY.

Southbound 123 near Eubank KY with a Top hat and a Mexican GE.

Not far behind the 123 was 143, with a nice mix of power.

Later in the afternoon, we spend a hour or so in the shade at South Fork KY.  JR shoots Northbound 124 as it crossed the Green River Bridge.

After 124 cleared, 215 came South, getting a run for the hill

Right behind 215 was the ever reliable 111 with a Deuce leading a pack of dead GE's

A early 236 rolls under the block at Junction City Ky.

Last shot of the Day, 23G gets away from Junction City after a meet.

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Junior

While in the Somerset area Mr. Bell made an disturbing observation.  I was getting kinda nervous since he was driving my truck.  After his rant with some rather colorful words we stopped so I could photograph this disturbing sight.  We had discovered that they had closed a road that offered a very nice shot with elevation.  I will let Mr. Bell finish this story because he has shot this location many times.

Later
Junior

TB4JY

I met that 264 train on braswell mountain here in Georgia.  I did not notice the lead engine, just the former UP engine trailing.  It was about 2:00a.m.  The 264 that left Atlanta today had a SD70M-2 in the lead.  Did not get the number.

Batman

nice shots , i waited on the 123 ,  however i got rained out.

E.M. Bell

It ticks me off that they closed that road, but with all the construction on 27 and the new overhead bridges, I guess it was bound to happen. That crossing has been the site of many bad accidents over the years.  There may be a way to still get back into there from the other side, will have to investigate that at some point...and if not, so , much for my favorite place on Norwood hill..  BUT, it might not be all bad, that new water park thing on down past Cumberland chair looks interesting..nice high tower at the top of the water slide and right next to the tracks..wonder what that would look like  ;)

I bet Josh and the other guys have a heck of a time keeping their eyes on the tracks down through there, with all the bikini's hanging around that place...

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

nscnotp1

A nice set of photos from the Somerset area. Loved the old GE with the whitebrow, don't know what it is about the new look on an old GE but I like it. Also a great catch to you Emmett for catching the Ferromex and the deuce at Southfork.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk