Fall Musings From Southside Virginia

Started by VirginiaSouthern, November 28, 2006, 11:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VirginiaSouthern

*Disclamer* I know that some of these photos are not NS, but I thought that the membership would still enjoy the photos. 

Back in the middle of October I was up in Keysville, VA visiting my folks.  While I was there I decided to head out on a Saturday to do some much-missed Southside Virginia Railfanning.  It turned out to be a very slow day, but I didn't let that stop me from snapping a few photos of scenery.  I had actually forgotten about this days worth of pics (hence my reason for sharing them now :p).

I started the early morning around the yard at Crewe.  After waiting for the better part of an hour, I finally hear a horn off in the distance (I had left my scanner down in SC).  A few minutes later and I spy the distinctive nose of an SD70M-2 peeking around the corner with a set of autoracks in tow.  This photo isn't of the greatest quality (partly do to the shutter speed being set too low), but I liked it because of the sun rising in the background.

After about another half hour, and nothing going on, I decided to head back towards Keysville.  On the way, I had to stop at one of my favorite spots in the Southside region, Abilene, VA.  Now I didn't catch any trains while I was there, but this location lends itself to some great scenic photos.

First we have a shot of the NS main and siding looking Westbound.  Just beyond the signal, the mainline splits in two with the Blue Ridge District heading West by Northwest towards Pamplin and the Altavista district heading due West.

Next we have a more detailed shot of the CPL signals guarding the main and siding.  These are fast becoming a rare breed on the mainlines through VA.  They seem to be disappearing at an accelerated rate in this part of the state.

Lastly we have a shot of the main and siding facing Eastbound.  I could not pass up capturing a shot of the sun poking it's way through the trees.

Leaving Abilene, and making my way home, I made one last stop in the town of Keysville itself to see what the Virginia Southern Railroad was up to.  As I suspected, absolutely nothing.  Engines that once pulled for a very busy shortline (used to run 2 trains per day, 5-6 days per week) now sit idle with almost nothing to do but collect dust.

From first to last we have...

VSRR 2006 & 2008.  These former Southern GP38s originally came to the VSRR as leasers, but were subsequently purchased by RailAmerica for the line.  Here we find them sitting idle in the small yard at Keysville.

Lastly, just another angle of 2006.

Enjoy everyone!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk